An application won’t launch, followed by the Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect error. The said error, not so widely discussed on Internet forums, is largely caused by corrupted
dependencies, typically Visual C++ Redist.
Redownload Visual C++ Redist
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, a runtime component required for the smooth functioning of applications built using Microsoft‘s integrated development environment, known as Visual Studio, has been corrupted. Redownload the Visual C++ Redistributable package to enable smooth access to library files, shared modules, DLL files that are distributed by app developers along with the application setup. The app will function properly after reinstallation.
- Click the Start icon on the Taskbar.
- Click Settings from the Start Screen.
- Click System icon.
- Click Apps & Features tab.
- In the Type an app name textbox, type Visual.
- You’ll see single or multiple product entries depending on the number of product versions installed:
- Click Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package | Uninstall.
- If you find multiple versions of Visual C++ Redist, please uninstall all of them.
- Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
- Download the desired version(s) from Microsoft Download Center.
Use the DISM Tool
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM), a command-line tool that replaces the Package Manager, troubleshoots component store corruption problems.
- Press Windows Key + X; choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type the following commands (in the same sequence):
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Restart your computer.
Repair the Windows Installation
The BIOS Setup which contains your computer’s advanced system configurations, has an option that enables you to change the boot sequence. Set your Windows installation disc as the first boot device, boot from it and repair the installation issues.
- Insert Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
- Press F2 or Delete key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup opens.
- Set the Boot Sequence as follows:
- First Boot Device: DVD ROM Drive
- Second Boot Device: Hard Disk Drive
- Save the changes; exit.
- Your computer will restart.
- Customize the language, currency and keyboard input settings, if required. (Optional)
- Click Repair your computer.
- Now click the Troubleshoot icon.
- Click Advanced Options | Command Prompt.
- chkdsk /f /r X:
- You’ll be prompted for confirmation.
- Type Y.
- Press Enter.
- Reboot your machine after successful completion.
Reinstall the Application
Uninstall and reinstall the application that brings up the Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect error. It may be possible that some application files, essential components required during run-time, are missing, renamed, moved or deleted.
- Follow step # 1-4 under the Redownload Visual C++ Redist section.
- Scroll down the list.
- Click the application you desire to uninstall.
- Click Uninstall.
- Download setup from application vendor’s website and execute the setup.